Stumbled across this great blog – 10,000 words: where journalism and technology meet – in looking for audio slideshow software tips, and now can’t get enough of their recs. They have a great checklist of to-dos for aspiring journalists, and I wanted to pass along a few of the better, and more manageable ones.
- Start a blog and post at least twice a week
- Shoot 100 amazing photos and post them on Flickr
- Improve at least 5 Wikipedia entries
- Create an audio slideshow using Soundslides
- Shoot and edit a 3-minute video and post it to YouTube
- Create and maintain a Delicious account with at least 50 links that you find interesting
- Create an online portfolio
- Learn another computer language besides HTML (e.g. XML, PHP, MySQL)
- Learn how to create a basic slideshow in Flash
- Subscribe to at least 25 non-journalism blogs using an RSS reader
- Record, edit and embed a 3-minute piece of audio.
- Interview 10 people using a handheld audio recorder
- Create a multimedia project that incorporates, video, audio, and text
Check out the full list here.
Showed it to Jess, who said, “oh this list makes me nauseous…sooo much is expected of journalists – who will not get paid nearly enough for it all.” True! But who doesn’t love a challenge?